Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Should The Sox Bring Mark Back?


Imagine this starting rotation next season: Floyd, Danks, Peavy, Humber, Stewart.  What do you notice?  Yes, No Mark Buehrle.  I don't know how to feel about that.

On the one hand, Mark Buehrle's departure will save the team's payroll.  Mark will probably still command a decent paycheck to sign.  On the other hand, the Sox will lose one of the best players they have ever had in franchise history.  This is a guy who has pitched 200 innings every year since 2001, is a four time All Star, a two time Gold Glove winner and a World Series champion.  Oh and it doesn't hurt that he has a perfect game and no hitter under his belt.

I read an interesting article the other day on baseball-reference.com which pointed out every starting pitcher since 1901 who posted 4+ seasons of 30+ starts with an ERA+ of 110+ before the age of 27.  Mark Buehrle made this short list of just 28 pitchers.  That really tells you how special he was from 2001-2005(5 seasons).

On the converse, you can look at his last five seasons and say that he really fell down the ladder a bit.  Over his last five seasons, he's 74-65 with a 4.02 ERA, averaging 206 IP per season.  In the American League, these can be looked at as decent numbers, but disappointing considering his previous numbers.  This season, Mark's numbers have been much better.

Buehrle posted a respectable stretch this season from April 27th to August 11th with the following lines: 9-3, 2.46 ERA, 70/24 K/BB, and a 1.15 WHIP over 124.1 IP.  All of this was during a stretch when the White Sox basically went .500 at 48-46.  I believe Mark is pitching well because it is a contract year, and he wants people to know he still has something left.

It is hard to imagine the White Sox without Mark Buehrle, but it may be for the best.  The team can get younger, save money and has a viable rotation going forward into the future.  I may just be being selfish, but I really want the Sox to re-sign Mark.  Mark means more to me than just a pitcher who can help the Sox.  I met my wife because of Mark(It's a really long story) and the #56 has come up several times with special meanings for us.

My email address is Mark Buehrle.  I have a photo of Mark Buehrle hanging on my wall.  I have a Mark Buehrle Build-A-Bear.  I have 72 Mark Buehrle baseball cards.  I have a Mark Buehrle perfect game t-shirt.  You see, he means more to me than just the average player I like.  I know all things have to come to an end, so if this is really it, I need to focus on his next few starts because they could be his last with the Sox.

If Mark does leave, I hope he doesn't retire.  I want to still be able to watch him pitch, even for another team.  He would most likely want to sign with the Cardinals if they would have him.  He has expressed his desire to pitch for them before he retires.  If he does retire, he has had a great career and I wish him all the best.  I hope if he does pitch somewhere else, he has some success, because he has a chance to get himself into that fringe Hall Of Fame category.

He would go out either way as my pick as the second best pitcher in White Sox history(Bleacher Report says he IS the best), behind only Ed Walsh.  He has started on Opening Day nine times in his career.  It would be hard to see someone else up on the hill for Opening Day 2012, I guess I will just have to deal with it and be happy with what I did get to see out of him during his time with the Sox.

I remember when he hit that home run. I remember when he made "The Play".  I remember when he got thrown out by Jo(k)e West.  I remember where I was when he threw both of his no hitters.  I remember when he got a save in Game 3 of the World Series.  I remember when I went to a Sox @ Royals game in 2006 and Mark pitched and won.  I remember when he started the All Star Game.  I remember when I first saw that ridiculous truck he owns.  I remember when he retired 45 batters in a row to set a ML record.  I hope I get a few more memories in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment