Tuesday, August 7, 2012

White Sox Birthday Games Are Special


If you’re like me and have a birthday falling somewhere between April 1 and October 5th, the White Sox often play on your birthday.  My birthday is August 7th. I feel that these games, when they occur, are a little bit more special. I am 28 years old (as of 8/7/2012), and the Sox have now played on 23 of my birthdays.

I look forward to each birthday game, even if the Sox are not doing so well that particular season. For one day, I throw out the standings and feel like they are playing for me. Tonight, August 7th, 2012, they are playing the Kansas City Royals. Jake Peavy is starting the game on my birthday for the second year in a row.  He is definitely one of my favorite players on the team, in my Top 5 at least. Hope he wins and gets the Sox to their 61st win in the standings this evening.

Last August 7th, the Sox rolled over the Twins 7-0, earning their first sweep of the Twins @ Minnesota since 2004, and first ever at Target Field. This was a great game, seeing the Sox go yard four times, including my favorite player Konerko. Jake Peavy was brilliant, going 8 innings of 3 hit baseball, 6 Ks.

My White Sox birthday game list began in 1984, my birth year, with a 6-3 victory over the New York Yankees @ Yankee Stadium. Their total record in all games occurring on August 7th since 1984 is 12-11. The team we have played most is the Angels, all three incarnations (California, Anaheim and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim). In those seven games, the Sox are 4-3.

There has only been one shutout win by the White Sox; last season versus the Twins. There has only been one decision by 10 or more runs, which was an 11-1 loss to Oakland in 1999. The longest win streak for the Sox has been 3 games(1988-1991) and the longest losing streak is also 3 games (twice). My Sox birthday games have only gone to extra innings one time, an 8-4 victory over the Yankees in 10 innings back in 1996. You can watch an interesting version of events HERE

The White Sox have averaged being in 2.54th place after the result of the games on August 7th each year since 1984. That doesn’t surprise me, since the White Sox have the second most second place league/division finishes in AL history (19). I am surprised that they have gone 3-0 against the Yankees over those games.

The most games the White Sox have trailed first place after my birthday game was 10 games back in 2006. Despite the large deficit, the Sox were in 2nd place at the time. The Sox have played 12 of those games on the road, and 11 of those games at home. On the road, they are 8-5; at home they are just 4-6. Their longest streak of home games in a row is 7 (2002-2009), while their longest road streak is 6 (1994-2001). In 1994, the White Sox won 10-5 over the California Angels. The Sox would only play 3 more games that year, then the season ended with the Strike.

If you are like me and are lucky enough to have a birthday that falls during the baseball season, what does your Sox Birthday history look like?  Do you celebrate by watching the games?  I have never been lucky enough to attend a Sox game on my birthday, hopefully I can do that someday.  The day will always be special to me no matter what the Sox are doing before or after that date in the season.  Go Sox! (Especially on August 7th)

***Updates***
8/7/2013: The White Sox finished in 2nd place last season, so that number is now 20 all time second place finishes. The White Sox lost in 2012 to Cy Chen 5-2, so my all time birthday record falls to 12-12. The White Sox will need to take care of the Yankees tonight to get me over .500 all time. No matter what happens, this will be the most the White Sox have trailed first place after my birthday. (either 23, 24 or 25 games back after tonight)

No comments:

Post a Comment